Thursday, October 11, 2007

Racism

Yup I'm about to go there.

As a Christian conservative I got heat in my college days from people who automaticly assumed I was a racist because of my faith and political beliefs. It always confused me because I knew I was anything but a racist. I detest bad behaviour from anyone, regardless of their background. Looking back on it now I realize that the racism was, in fact, coming from people that had more of a liberal perspective.

Now let me finish and show you my train of thought. I don't think that all liberals are racist; but I do see how someone could slip down that path if they aren't careful. Just like I see how somone who's a conservative could start down that path unintentionally.

The argument I hear, and I could be very much wrong here, is that someone who's a minority can't make it without the help of government and liberals because they're minorities and the deck is stacked against them.

I never really stopped to think about what was being said here but now that I do it sounds a tad racist doesn't it? Why can't someone make it through faith, hard work and determination? I was always taught that the measure of a person isn't what they were born into, but the way that they reacted to their circumstance. If we tell kids in low income areas that their only way out is rap or sports aren't we feeding a pretty negative stereotype? Why not encourage some of these kids to find ways to help the community? Become a pastor, a teacher, a doctor. Anything is possible if you work for it and believe on God to show you the way.

I believe that anyone can rise above their situation and circumstance. It just takes work and dedication.

To tell someone that they can't make it because of their birth is not only racist, its downright evil.

That's all for now all.
"End of line."

No comments: