Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The State of Things

Time to get in the trenches folks.

We're entering into a new year. One that has the added bonus of being a presidential election year. It is vitally important that someone be elected that will actually work to solve the problems that we, as a nation, face. I'll try to outline the things I believe to be the two big problems and what I believe to be the solutions, provided I can think of one. These are in no particular order.

1. Health Care. Too many people are without health insurance because they just can't afford it. This is something that should not be in the United States. There should be something in place, something better than medicaid, something that people can actually access if they need it. I'm speaking from experience here when I say that medicaid is broken. It doesn't help people who need it and the process to get it is designed to make you give up. Something needs to be done to fix it. It could be as simple as just making the application process easier but it needs to be done.

2. The War. I'll be honest, I don't think we ever should have gone into Iraq. I think there were situations that presented a greater moral imperative. However once we went in we should have let the generals fight how they needed to in order to win. We should have sent our people in with the best equipment possible and as much support as they needed. Since that's not how we started we've gotten bogged down in a mire that we're only now crawling out of. We are seeing some results, I can't blind myself to that, but if we're going to stay fight to win.

There are many, many other issues such as energy independance, enviromental issues, and protecting the citizenry from terrorist attacks. All of these issues are important and I encourage you to write the candidates and ask them the tough questions. Look for buzzword phoniness and call them on it. Investigate and determine for yourselves who you think is the best choice. Don't let anyone, be they pastor, union leader, teacher or friend tell you who to vote for. Look into things and vote your conscience and your principles.

That's all for now. May the Lord bless you and may the Lord keep you, may He make His Face to shine upon you. Amen and amen.

End of line.

No comments: