Sunday, December 23, 2007

Hatred

Each and every one of us has had to face hatred at some point in our lives. Its an isidious thing that can be as simple as someone making a snide comment about your choice of clothing, or as blatant as using racial epitaphs and violence. In any case it is not just wrong its evil. The problem is that we've run into in recent years is confusing real hate with politcal disagreements or diferences in philosophical and religious beliefs. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an end in sight for that particular problem. What's most bothersome about it all is that so many problems could be solved if people just talked to one another.

The reason I'm talking about this is because of recent events at a site where I am a frequent poster. Gamepolitics.com is a site that talks about the gaming industry and how it relates to politics.( I mentioned them in an earlier post for those who are interested) A fellow poster there takes every opportunity he can to denigrate religion in general and Christianity in particular; even when religion has nothing to do with the news story in question. He has been asked, repeatedly, to knock it off only to have him turn around and tell us that, those of us who are Christians, are just too ignorant and superstitious to understand him and if we only gave up the things we believe in then we'd see everything his way.

Now don't get me wrong, the guy has every right to his beliefs; and I'd never claim otherwise. He's made his choice and, as a Christian, all I can really do is accept that he's made that choice and pray for him. He accuses Christians of being full of hate and wanting to legislate their faith into being the law of the land. Despite being shown the error of his logic, nope he's right and we're all just too stupid to realize it.

I'll be honest, there are things I disagree with and I'll make it known that I think certain behaviours are right or wrong. That doesn't mean I hate the person doing them, and that doesn't mean that I hate them for thinking differently than me. I actually rather like people most of the time.

My caution to everyone is this. Don't get so caught up in the "us vs. them" mentality that you lose sight of trying to actually solve problems. Remember the first rule of the fanatic: "When you become obsessed with the enemy you become the enemy". You don't have to agree with someone, but at least have the decency to listen to their arguments. Don't berate them for thinking differently than you, you can see where they might be coming from without agreeing with their philosophies. If people were more honest about that kind of thing there would be a lot fewer problems in the world.

That's all for now all. May the Lord bless you and may the Lord keep you, may He make His Face to shine upon you. Amen and amen

End of line.

No comments: