Thursday, December 20, 2007

Tom Smith

I'd like to talk about something different today. I've gotten a little heavy and deep recently so here's something a little lighter if only to lift some spirits.

Several years ago one of my very best friends, and brother in every way that matters, introduced me to the music of Tom Smith. He played Tom's "Debasement Tapes", and I think "And They Say I've Got Talent" on our way to my first Origins. I became a fan that very day. I hadn't heard much from him in a long time and I had figured that he'd either simplly stopped recording or life had just gotten in the way. Then I found his web page www.tomsmithonline.com , to say the least I was thrilled. It was then I remebered that he had been referenced in the webcomic Something Positive by R.K. Milholland, of which I am a regular reader by the way.

I had wanted to pick up more of Tom's cds but just never had the money. Then I attended the 2007 Gen Con in Indianapolis, IN. I was walking through the dealer hall when I happened upon a musicians alley. There at a booth was Tom Smith. He was friendly, congenial, smiling and seemed to be having a great time. It was also here that I bought a copy of every cd he had with the exception of "Debasement Tapes" and "Plugged". Of the cds I bought that day his Marcon 2005 live cd is my favorite.

In Tom's music I find all the passion, and genuine love of music that is present in many of the old school (and by this I mean Hank Williams Sr, Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash) artists of country and folk music. I found a musical home in Tom's music, if I may wax the poetic. To be sure there are modern cds that I like, but I always come back to Tom's music because its so enjoyable to listen to. You can feel the joy coming off of the music as he sings the playful song and you can feel the loss and sense of mourning in songs like "A Boy and His Frog". Actually, listening to that particular song it almost feels like the kind of thing that Jim Henson would have written himself. I can't really think of higher praise than that.

I want to take this moment to say thank you to Tom Smith for his music. Thank you for the songs and thank you for the laughs. Thank you for the tears and thank you for the memories that spring up when I listen to your music. My mother and I would watch old Peter Lorre movies, and The Muppet Show, and many other things together. Many of your songs referance these and I remember those times through the songs.

Hearing Tom's music, to me anyway, is like a visit from an old friend. So thank you again Tom for the music and thank you for sharing it with us. You've got the love of the people, and to my mind, that's one of the best things possible.

That's all for now. May the Lord bless you and may the Lord keep you, may He make His Face to shine upon you. Amen and amen.

End of line.

No comments: