Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Passing of a Legend

Yesterday Gary Gygax passed away at the age of 69 and an entire community of people mourn his passing.Who was Gary Gygax you ask?

He, along with Dave Arneson, created Dugeons and Dragons the first great table top role playing game. I don't know if they realized at the time just what it was they had created. Where would many of us be without their creation?

I want to take this opportunity, though I never got to meet the man, say thank you. Thank you for creating a place where people like me belong. Thank you for every night spent around a table with friends, eating pizza and taking some measure of enjoyment at lobbing a fireball at an unsuspecting goblin. Thank you for providing an outlet for our imaginations and dreams. You created one of the greatest sandboxes that I've ever gotten to play in. Thank you for reminding us that just because we happen to get older, by no means does that mean we have to grow up.

My prayers and condolences to the Gygax family during this time.

That's all for now. May the Lord bless you and may the Lord keep you, may He make His face to smile upon you. Amen and amen

End of line.

No comments: